- Almost half of PA fourth graders are reading below grade level.
- This challenge exists in both urban cities and rural communities.
- One in five American adults struggle with reading basic sentences.
- For these individuals, tasks such as reading the mail, completing tax forms, or even voting can be nearly impossible.
- Research shows that early literacy is critical to academic success and long-term achievement.
- A strong, evidence-based reading program beginning in kindergarten gives students the best chance at success.